- Marriage Counselling
We offer Marriage counselling to help couples resolve conflicts in accordance with the Holy Qur’an and the authentic Sunnah.
To speak to an imam contact 01582 724647 for free confidential advice for upto 10 minutes.
For more serious marital problems we offer a 1 hour appointment with an imam who can resolve conflicts and mediate between couples experiencing problems in their marriage. Please call 01582 724647 to book an appointment.
- Nikah Ceremonies
Luton Islamic Centre conducts Nikah service to the Muslim community. Our Nikah service is there to help those who wish to be in an Islamic lawful and Halal relationship.
Nikah (Islamic lawful Life Sharing Contract)
Nikah is a great blessing and worship. In Sharia law Nikah viewed as a contract by both parties agree to live as husband and wife in accordance with the Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad. Having a relationship outside the bond of Nikah is totally prohibited in Islam and is a major sin.
According to Islam, both man and woman have rights over each other when they enter into a contract with the man serving as protector and supporter of the family from his means. Ensure you are ready for your Nikah and fully aware of the consequences and responsibilities of Nikah. Thus we encourage you to read up on this topic and make yourself aware of your responsibilities.
Registering your Nikah into Marriage under UK law
Conducting a Nikah at Luton Islamic Centre does NOT constitute a Civil Marriage. Thus, it is very important that you register civil marriage with your local registrar office before the Nikah.
Under British law, couples who are only in a Nikah and without civil marriage are generally considered to be co-habiting. They do not have the same rights as couples in a civil marriage that is properly recognised under the law. The co-habiting couples would therefore have no certain rights in law as regards pensions, benefits or in the event of a dispute, separation, inheritance estate etc.
For further information for Civil Marriage, please contact Luton Borough Council Registrar Office at 6 George St West, Luton, LU1 2BJ.
One of the essential elements of a Nikah is that the man agrees to pay the woman a dowry. The dowry is not a gift, and is a mandatory requirement for all men whereby an amount of money or possessions with monetary value is paid to the woman at the time of Nikah ceremony or later in the future for her exclusive use.
- Each partner must present two forms of identification, one with a photo (e.g. UK driving licence or passport) and one with a UK permanent address (e.g. Utilities bill or Bank statement with dated within the last four months). It is your responsibility to produce the original documents.
- Birth Certificates – For each partner. If names have changed the Original copy of the Deed Poll.
- Divorcees – Decree Absolute & Talaq Documents in accordance with Sharia.
- Widow/Widower – Former spouses death certificate.
- Two male witnesses of good character MUST be present at the time of Nikah. It is vital that the witness reliable, easily-traceable, unbiased witnesses to the Nikah. We will not provide any witnesses.
- If one or both partners are converts to Islam, a letter or certificate is required from the person who conducted their Shahada.
- Civil Marriage Certificate is required before the Nikah.
All of the documents listed above must be original documents and a photocopy of each document for mosque to retain. These documents must be produced before the Nikah.
- Either one partner must be a resident of Bedfordshire.
- We only conduct a Nikah where both partners are physically present.
- Both partners and all witnesses must be over the age of 21.
- Presence of the Wali (the bride’s father or next of reliable male kin to the bride).
- Presence of two Muslim Male witnesses, with their ID’s.
- You can bring along few friends and relatives to attend your Nikah are better.
- It is important to note that Islam does not promote or advocate forced relationship.
The current Nikah processing fee is £250 to cover all cost in advance. Please note that the fee is not refundable once an application is submitted and then withdrawn.
A Nikah certificate will be issued 1 week after the ceremony and it is important you retain this certificate, as you may need it in the future (e.g. if you undertake Hajj / Umrah – the certificate can prove a Nikah exists between yourselves especially as surnames are usually different at the time of Nikah).
The names on the photo ID will be the names that will be written on the Nikah certificate. We will not write any other names.
All of the above mentioned, is for your general guidance only. It should not be taken as the law. You should seek independent professional advice as relevant to your circumstances. We only conduct the Nikah, and we do not provide any legally binding advice etc.
If you are interested in booking for a Nikah ceremony contact us on 01582 724647 or 07444 590020.